Baker Motors History
It is unclear why, in 1936, Alfred Edmeades Baker chose Naracoorte in South Australia as the place for a General Motors dealership. He had emigrated from England in 1912 with an energy and enthusiasm that was to become a trademark of this motoring industry family for the next two generations. Some say he chose Naracoorte because he saw his future in the ever-expanding rural sector.
The war over, Alf's itchy feet led him to sell the Naracoorte dealership and the family settled in Albury where he founded the present-day Baker Motors Group. Post-war Australia saw a dearth in supply of most things, including cars. The enterprising Alf traded army surplus tanks and 4WD trucks which he purchased in New Guinea.
Alf constructed a double storey showroom at the Olive Street site and set up residence in a flat above it. He included, for his comfort, a games room on the roof, containing a full-size slate billiard table.
Alf passed away in 1958 and business responsibility fell on the shoulders of son John. In 1964, John purchased the Chrysler dealership on the corner of Dean and Young Streets, another prominent site still occupied by Baker Motors.
Realising that range would be a key element in the future Baker Motors success story, John obtained licences to sell Mercedes-Benz in 1977.
By the early 90's all of John's five sons had joined the business.
In April 1998, tragedy struck as John and wife Marg's lives were taken in an aircraft accident. The twin cities of Albury-Wodonga mourned the premature passing of this much admired couple.
A true family business, Baker Motors Group is well positioned to offer the personal service expected by customers today - a fact acknowledged by Mercedes-Benz when they awarded us the coveted Dealer of the Year Award in 1997 and by Family Business Australia when conferring Baker Motors with the the Third Generation Family Business of the Year award for NSW and ACT in 2006.